whole wheat everything bagels
These are so fun to make, and as long as you have active yeast, flour, salt and sugar you can make the dough!
I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 bread flour to get in some additional fiber. Add anything to these bagels (cheddar cheese, sesame, etc) but I highly recommend this recipe using Trader Joe’s ‘everything but the bagel’ seasoning.
You could make these into full-sized bagels or smaller bite-sized bagels. Try these homemade whole wheat everything bagels with the recipe below.
Note: best fresh out of the oven with a little cream cheese!
1.5 cups warm water
1 tbsp active yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
recipe (makes 6 bagels)
1. mix water and yeast in a small mixing bowl
2. in a separate large mixing bowl add flours, sugar and salt
3. pour yeast and water mixture into flour a few tbsps at a time and stir with fork until it becomes thick enough to form with your hands and knead
4. place dough into a bowl sprayed with olive oil and cover with a cloth for 45 mins - 1 hour
5. bring a large pot of water to a boil and add honey
6. cut dough into 6 pieces and roll into equal sized balls about 2” in diameter
7. make an imprint with your thumb in the center of the dough to form a hole for the bagel shape
8. place bagels into boiling water 2-3 at a time for 3 mins on each side
9. place onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper
10. whisk the egg in a little bit of water and brush egg wash over the top of the bagels
11. sprinkle EBTB seasoning onto bagels and place into the oven for 20 mins until bagels are golden brown
12. enjoy fresh out of the oven, and freeze the rest to use throughout the next few weeks!
prep time: 1.5 hours
nutrition per serving: 310 calories, 12g protein, 58g carbohydrate, 2g fat, 6g fiber.