tortellini with leek and mushroom in a dairy-free coconut cream sauce
Wow. These leeks taste so buttery and silky after briefly sautéing in olive oil and baking in vegetable broth with mushrooms. my new favorite vegetable, and look how pretty they are!
Leeks are from the same family of vegetables as onion and garlic, but they have a sweeter taste in my opinion. They support cardiovascular health and blood sugar, and provide plant compounds that are preventive against certain chronic diseases.
Include leeks in your diet by adding to soups, stews, salads, pastas, etc., and try the recipe below!
ingredients (makes 2 servings)
2 leek stalks, chopped into 1” thick pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup mushrooms
12 oz package of cheese or mushroom tortellini
1/2 5.4 fl oz can of unsweetened coconut cream
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
1. preheat oven to 325F
2. add olive oil to a pan over medium heat
3. add sliced leeks face down and let cook for 5-8 mins, then flip leeks onto the other side and cook for another 5-8 mins until browned
4. add vegetable broth and mushrooms and cook in the oven for 25-30 mins
5. while leeks and mushrooms cook, make tortellini according to directions on the label
6. remove the leeks and mushrooms, and place pan with vegetable broth on low heat
7. add coconut cream 1-2 tbsp at a time and mix continually to stir
8. after coconut cream is added and melted, pour desired amount of coconut cream sauce over tortellini, leeks, and mushrooms
9. sprinkle with parmesan and enjoy!
prep time: 40-50 mins
nutrition per serving: 750 kcals, 17g protein, 85g carbohydrate, 35g fat, 10g fiber