tortellini pesto pea soup
This recipe is fresh and delicious and makes me think of spring ☺️
The best part is it uses frozen ingredients so it’s quick and easy. I always talk to patients and clients about ways to incorporate more veggies, and using frozen veggies to quickly head up and make into a meal is one of the best ways to do that.
Frozen veggies are usually frozen at peak freshness, so they retain nutritional value similiar to fresh vegetables. They’re also usually much cheaper and don’t go badly as quick as fresh vegetables!
Try this cheese tortellini soup with peas, french style green beans, pesto and mint with the recipe below.
1 diced yellow onion
1 tbsp olive oil
20 oz package of frozen cheese tortellini
1 lb frozen french style green beans
1 lb frozen green peas
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup pesto
2 tbsp parmesan
2-5 fresh mint leaves
recipe (makes 4 servings)
1. add diced onion to a dutch oven with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat
2. cook for 5 mins until fragrant
3. add vegetable broth, tortellini, green beans and peas
4. cover and bring to a simmer
season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
5. add pesto and mix well
6. once soup is warm and tortellini is cooked through, serve with sprinkle of parmesan, a scoop of pesto, and fresh mint leaves and enjoy!
prep time: 25 mins
nutrition per serving: 425 calories, 16g protein, 38g carbohydrate, 21g fat, 5g fiber.