balanced caesar salad
Would you believe me if I told you I made this from a prebagged salad with a few extra ingredients?
I’m all about convenience, and often I’ll be starving and exhausted after work and the last thing I feel like doing is cooking from scratch. I picked up a prepackaged Caesar salad kit from Whole Foods and made it into a balanced dinner by adding protein (shrimp and hemp seeds), more whole grain carbs (whole wheat tortilla), and more color (red onion and tomatoes).
You can do this with any prepackaged salad! Most are lacking in protein, so make sure to at least add a source of protein. Try this 20-min weeknight meal recipe below!
prepackaged caesar salad kit (lettuce, parmesan, croutons, caesar dressing)
5-6 precooked frozen shrimp
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp diced red onion
1/2 roma tomato, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp hemp seeds
1/2 whole wheat tortilla
1. add olive oil to a pan over medium heat with minced garlic
2. add shrimp and season with paprika, cook on each side for 3-5 mins until golden brown
3. pour bagged salad ingredients into a bowl (lettuce, parmesan, croutons)
4. add tomato and red onion to salad
5. drizzle with 1/2 package of caesar dressing
6. top with shrimp, plate with tortilla and enjoy!
prep time: 20 mins